I got a request for a custom hat similar to a test I had done using the chevron rib pattern for the aviator hat, so I went back and made a new pattern based on it. The first one I knit came out a bit pointy, so I made a second version where I revised the decreases in the crown to make a more rounded shape. The second one came out as I had hoped and the recipient was very happy!
After that first hat, I made two more and have been working to write down the pattern. I may be releasing it in the near future. I need to make some final tweaks to the decreases, but I especially like how it turned out using Lionbrand’s Amazing Yarn in the Cobblestone colorway (first hat pictured).
Here’s a new screen print completed this past weekend in an edition of five. Like most of my prints, I’ve left this one untitled. Though, right now I can’t even give it a shorthand name, as nothing comes to mind that seems remotely appropriate or obvious.
I’ve always been reluctant to title my work, as that seems to imply that there’s more going on behind the scenes. It tends to encourage viewers to try and decipher some sort of hidden meaning or riddle that is assumed to be imbued in the work, lending the pictures an artificial weight. I prefer using the Frank Stella mantra, “what you see is what you see”, which reinforces the fact that these pieces are exercises in form and color that should be enjoyed as such. Perhaps the series as a whole will have a title, some sort of frame to offer the group a bit of context, but we’ll have to wait some time longer to find out how that works out.
I printed a small edition yesterday with decent results. The weather was hot and humid by midday, which made the second run a bit more difficult in the un-airconditioned workshop. The ink ran a little thick and heavy rather quickly as a result. Nonetheless, the colors turned out perfectly—rich and vibrant. Exactly how I wanted them to look.
I bought a few skeins of Malabrigo Silky Merino a while back and had to try them out on the new fingerless mitts pattern. Its interesting to see how the colors vary through the pattern. Some of the skeins also varied in texture a bit, but they all worked well with this pattern. It makes me want to try a few more of the colorways, but I’ll have to wait until I’ve worked through some more of my yarn stash. I’ve decided to work out the instructions from one of my previous fingerless glove experiments next which I call Dandelion Puff mitts, which will work with worsted weight. Look for updates soon!
The pattern is finally done! I’ve been working hard to add useful information and recheck my patterns to make them easier to follow. I’ve also added some additional photographs so you can see how things are supposed to look. This pattern is a bit longer than previous offerings because the pattern knits differently on each glove to mirror the zigzags. Let me know if you have any questions. I’ve knit this with a few different colorways of Malabrigo Silky Merino and they look great. I’ll have some new pictures on Ravelry and Craftsy soon.
You can purchase this pattern for the price of $2.50 here:
I’m getting ready to print a new edition next weekend. I’ve prepped the screens and now begin the arduous task of color selection. I have some ideas in my head, but oftentimes what I think might work in theory, ends up looking wrong in execution. So I’ll pursue a bunch of options this week and narrow them down as the weekend approaches. Color combinations that I’ll scrap one day, I’ll revisit the next, then debate for a few days more.
The odd thing is I love color. You’d think that it would be a breeze, but it’s just not. It’s an uphill battle the whole way. Sometimes it’s torturous. Other times it’s excruciating. Rarely is it easy. You have to pay for your pleasure, I suppose.
But coming out the other side and selecting that perfect combination is such a thrilling feeling. You just know it when you see it. It just feels right. I’m looking forward to that moment this coming weekend. Fingers crossed.
You must be logged in to post a comment.