This project started out as a quest to make a Tam worthy of a Christmas present for my mom. We both have short hair and it takes a nice fluffy winter hat to look cute. I took one element from the last two hats I made and integrated it into a generously bulky tam increase to even it out. The result is this sweet hat that reminded me of a meringue cookie, even to the way the decorative elements come together at the top. After a few adjustments I refined the decreases to be as unobtrusive as possible. One more test hat and I’ll be releasing this pattern for everyone to enjoy!
The first hat pictured was created with Cascade Yarns Eco Duo – a deliciously soft and beautifully undyed combo of alpaca and merino. I’ll be ordering more of this in the future.
I’m getting closer to the final pattern on these gloves! The revised button hole area looks a lot cleaner and the standard worsted weight seems to work well. I’ve started laying out the final instructions, but then I will make one more pair to test the instructions and make sure I didn’t transpose any of the information. I hope to release this pattern soon!
After finishing up the first pair of gloves, I jumped into a second pair to write down the instructions more completely. I used this beautiful Madelintosh Merino in Corsage. It reminded me of tulip tree blossoms in the spring. I really like this yarn and found the perfect buttons to use with it. After finishing the first one and starting the second, I decided to try doing the button hole section in standard stockinette on my third pair that I am working in a lighter worsted weight that I will use for my final measurements, etc. I like these a lot, but I think the button area will look a bit neater in the next version.
I’ve started working on my next pattern, which will be another fingerless gloves project. I’ve been working on iterations of these gloves for over a year and decided it was time to get it down on paper. I started out with the idea of making a glove with a ruched palm area. I liked how these looked, but decided to go further with the contrast in volume and explore both adding stitches and changing needle size to create these fun dandelion puff gloves. The volume in the palm makes them feel somewhere between a glove and a mitten and makes a nice pocket of warm air around your hand in the winter.
Unlike previous versions, I’ve reworked the cuff to button up the side. I’ve finished the first one and am working on the mirrored version for the other. It does take a little extra work to sew on the buttons, but picking them out is so much fun and they can really add a lot of personality!
Knitting has slowed down a bit this month, I’ve been catching up on some reading and smoothing out the wrinkles in some of the previous patterns I’ve released. I’ve been so focused on hats, that I wanted to do another fingerless mitt pattern and thought one matching the ZigZag Swirl hat would be fun.
The first prototype is pictured above (I actually frogged one before this that was almost complete, but I didn’t like the bottom cuff). I am knitting these from the top down and have already started a second version that refines a few points on this one. I have decided to enlarge the thumb section to double it over like the top and bottom to give it more weight and a finished edge. I am also going to reduce the flair at the bottom a bit. Look for more progress soon!
After a few prototype, I have finalized the ZigZag Swirl hat pattern! I really like the subtle patterning and lightweight feel of this hat. The doubled over brim gives it a finished look. I hope you enjoy it!
Needles: US 4 circular and/or dpn
Yarn weight: DK/light weight worsted
You can purchase this pattern on Etsy for $2.50:
Also available on Craftsy for the same price:
For my third iteration of this hat I decided to knit the brim without any increase/decrease a bit longer than the second version. I also reduced the size of the decorative band between the brim and hat body – it consists of 2 rows of garter stitch twice with 2 rows of stockinette in between. I also switched yarn to Malabrigo Silky Merino in Smoke, which shows the pattern off beautifully and has a wonderful feel.
I really like how the subtle changes from the last hat made this version feel more appropriate for both men and women. I think I will do one more iteration on this hat to make the brim just a bit longer and remove the decorative garter stitch rows. The pattern in the hat body are distorting the top garter stitch row a bit and I’d rather it be more streamlined. I think I’ll get some more of this yarn for the last version.